Donating life-saving blood components is so easy and makes a HUGE impact for our patients in need.
Here are the steps you can follow to make your donation a success!
The Week Before
- Eat Iron Rich Foods - Learn More
- If you plan to donate platelets, do not take aspirin or aspirin-related products 48 hours prior to your donation.
The Day Before
- Eat regular meals, with iron-rich foods (avoid fatty foods like hamburgers, fries and ice cream)
- Drink plenty of water and fluids
- Get a good night’s sleep
The Day Of
- Do not skip any meals
- Drink plenty of water or juice
- Bring your Photo ID to your donation appointment
- Wear clothing with loose fitting sleeves
During Registration and Screening
- You will be asked to complete a Donor History Questionnaire
- Follow your Donor Specialist’s instructions, feel free to ask them any questions you may have.You will meet with a team member to discuss your form and travel information to determine eligibility
- Show your Donor Specialist any “good veins” that have been used successfully in the past to draw blood
- Follow your Donor Specialist’s instructions, feel free to ask them any questions you may have.
- RELAX! You are saving lives!
- Sit up and dangle your feet over the side of the bed for a moment before standing
- Walk over to the refreshment area to enjoy some snacks and hydration to replace the volume you lost during donation.
- Remain at refreshment area for at least fifteen minutes. If you feel light-headed, please tell our staff immediately.
- We suggest you refrain from strenuous physical activity or heavy lifting for a few hours following donation.
- Enjoy the rest of your day!